Wednesday, September 08, 2004

A Season of Faith's Perfection..

A Season of Faith's Perfection...a wonderful title to an article in a wonderful movie - Finding Forrester. So why is it stuck in my mind like an impression etched on the rocky sides of the Grand Canyon by the raging torrents of the Colorado River.

If you have not watched that movie, find some time to go rent the video and watch the movie. I promise you, it is going to get on your nerves initially, probably even bore you. But I will also promise you, from the bottom of my heart, that it is worth your while to sit and watch the entire movie in one sitting.

Endearing in its own way, the movie taught me the concept of soup questions. As Sean Connery's William Forrester so eloquently puts it, the object of a question is to elicit information that matters to the person asking and no one else. So the next time I pop a question whose answer is irrelevant to me, you can rap me on my head and say, thats not exactly a soup question is it :)

More important though to me is the depiction of friendship between two of the rather strangest people - one an aspiring writer who would rather keep his talent under wraps rather than risk being not "cool" with his crowd, the other, a decorated (once, exactly) writer who stopped writing because of some personal tragedy and now lives coccooned in his apartment.

A Season of Faith's Perfection...the movie, to me, is the season, where there is perfection in the faith of friendship. Being the sentimental mush-prone geek that I am, I fell hook-line-sinker for the mush. But wait, thats not necassarily what this movie is all about. It is about sagely advise from a sage to a young kid....

"The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time"

"The first key to writing..is to write, not to think"

"You write your first draft with your heart..you rewrite with your head"

Sentimental mush aside, this movie reinforces the concept of how first impressions are not always correct...and how friends and friendship can never grow old or tired

Have a wonderful time....

6 comments:

Appie said...

Well well well. Here's another guy who loves Finding Forrester as much as I do. Just as the title of the article remains in the realm of your memory, it has remained in mine for so long. I love everything about this movie. It's in my list of my all time favs. BTW, as a geek you must have figured out, I was googling for the title "a season of faith's perfection' and your post popped up at the top. Had a nice time reading your post.
I bet you like Good Will Hunting asmuch!

Appie said...

Well well well. Here's another guy who loves Finding Forrester as much as I do. Just as the title of the article remains in the realm of your memory, it has remained in mine for so long. I love everything about this movie. It's in my list of my all time favs. BTW, as a geek you must have figured out, I was googling for the title "a season of faith's perfection' and your post popped up at the top. Had a nice time reading your post.
I bet you like Good Will Hunting asmuch!

Unknown said...

and 'Scent of a woman'!! Nice post and nice comment!! I too ended up here from googling the title. I liked it so much that i watched it thrice, three days straight back to back ;)

-- Venky

Unknown said...

and 'Scent of a woman'!! Nice post and nice comment!! I too ended up here from googling the title. I liked it so much that i watched it thrice, three days straight back to back ;)

-- Venky

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure you will receive this comment. You wrote this blog well before I was ready to read it and somehow it found its way onto my computer screen. As a young man myself I could not help but overlook the advice you offered your readers as the moral of this wonderful movie. "It is about sagely advise from a sage to a young kid...." is how you phrased it; if my memory serves me right. I would offer this to you: "The rest of those who have gone before us, cannot steady the unrest of those to follow." Think about this line and ask yourself if this entire movie wasn't about a young man offering his advice to a man who was at his season's end. Great blog though.

Nth Dimension said...

@@ Anonymous,

Great point. That perspective did occur to me at a subsequent viewing of this movie, but until you brought it up, I hadn't paid heed to it at all...

I suppose the ultimate moral of this is that no one is ever too old to learn or no one is ever too young to teach...life's lessons are there to be learnt by one and all...we just have to know it and realize it.