Saturday, November 20, 2004

Nanganallur, Chennai

I am a red-blooded Madrasi (Chennaiite, for the PC folks) - I was born in Hyderabad but my family moved down to Nanganallur when I was just 8 months old...and thats where I grew up. And unlike many of the younger generation, I grew up appreciating the benefits of an independent home. No messy community living for me...no flats, no apartments, no sir. Hey, how can I appreciate apartment-style living, when I grew up in a house, that was in the midst of lush green paddy fields, which provided so much open space.

When I was growing up, Nanganallur was that TamBram (Tamil Brahmin) suburb, and people who could afford to commute to the city, would move here for the fact that the local municipality had bothered tapping the waters of the River Palar, to provide drinking water supply. But what was left unsaid, was that it was then, the perfect suburb. Peace and quiet, away from the city, and literally an oasis of green - what with agricultural lands and coconut palms everywhere the eye can sweep. And oh, before I forget to tell ya, it is also a mini-Kancheepuram. A mini temple town. Famous for as long as I can remember for its Raja Rajeswari Temple and the Dakshina Mantralayam (Shri Raghavendra Mutt) and the Ardha Nareeshwara Temple, it provided peace and tranquility, relief away from the stresses of everyday life.

Anyways, the point of this post is that, this morning I received a message from my friend in Madras (Chennai). She had gone to visit the Shri Viswaroopa Adi Vyadihara Bhakta Anjaneya Temple, in Nanganallur. To the uninitiated, this is the big temple that has come up in Nanganallur in the past decade, and now ranks as possibly the most popular temple in the metropolitan Madras area. And it is also a prime example of commercialization that has hit Nanganallur quickly and in huge waves. People who would not have otherwise given one second of their thought to Nanganallur, now go about thinking..hey...lets go visit the Anjaneya temple there.

If you go visit Nanganallur now, it is almost unrecognizable as a town of peace and quiet. Heck even the Metropolitan Transport Corporation went ahead and established a bus stand for the town - something that the residents had been clamoring for, for over a decade and half. People are everywhere, it is crowded quite like Ranganathan Street in T.Nagar. And, the Alandur Municipality, with its weird decision making abilities, decided to re-route the Palar water supply to Tambaram, and left Nanganallur at the mercy of Chennai's famed Metrowater.

Development has not left Nanganallur as what it used to be..an oasis of peace. Instead, it is now just another overcrowded suburb of that great urban sprawl that Chennai has become.

I have seen the town grow in front of me. I have seen the rock being brought in to Nanganallur - that same rock which was later exquisitely carved into what is the current Bhakta Anjaneya. I have seen the unborn idol soaking up in the pit that was specially designed for the carving. I have been part of a time when it was served by just one measly bus service - the 18D. When the Pazhavanthangal suburban railway station was not even in existence. And boy, most all things that we wished for when we were the earlier residents of that town, are slowly coming to fruition. Proof that you gotta be careful of what you wish for, eh?

For all that it maybe, it is still one place that no one can change it - my hometown, the little village that became a town, while making a man out of me.

From Talakanancheri Village of the taluk of Meenambakkam to the current day avatar of Nanganallur...its been a long journey. Vive Nanganallur!

15 comments:

Harish said...

:) Nice post... Brought back ol' memories!!

Anonymous said...

Really good to see an article on Nanganllur. I was 3 months old when I came to Nanganllur (thats what my Dad said). I use to live in Lakshmi Nangar (currently in US). Still my dad live in an individual house in Nanganllur. I like individual homes and for sure I will go back and settle in the same town where I use to walk to school, roam around every street in Nanganllur. I was proud to be associated with the Night Patrolling team in Lakshmi Nagar when I use to live there (6 years back).

Anonymous said...

I think the bus route was 18_C, not 18_D. I remember the days when I had to wait for long hours for that bus at the Teynampet (SIET) bus stop to go my in-laws' house in Nanganallur. For some reaosn I am becoming more and more attracted to Nanaganallur. Are they any single homes available there for sale?

Anonymous said...

HI, i am so glad to see a blog for my hometown.I had left it last year and i miss it badly. I miss the dusty roads, and the dust you wipe of your bike's seat and the long lines for water. Visiting the Anjenia temple with my friends at 5 in the morning and the ever tasty prasadhams in the temple.It was a pleasure to live in the 41st street exactly opposite to the temple pond and watch the temple from the maddi of my appartment. I also miss the long cricket games we used to have in the terrace . But most of all i miss the locality and friends, but i am getting used to it. But i cant wait to visit it next year.(i currently am in the U.S)

Anonymous said...

Guys.!! Great posts..!! It brings nostalgic moments of my younger years in nanganallur. I'm also one lucky dude who hails from nanganallur. I miss the tennis ball cricket...floodlight cricket...the 12overs a side cricket..and what not. We had so much of grounds to play cricket all day long all the year round then. May be I would have played cricket with you all as your posts resonates with my thought process. I'm one of the first few batch of the modern school students who move from the thatched roof to concrete building. It's about 10 years i left india, and believe me I get a sense of belonging only on stepping in my parents' house in the great temple town of nanganallur....!. .....vj

Anonymous said...

Very nice to see a great post on Nanganallur. I was born and brought up in Nanganallur. I like the place for so many reasons- water, ambience, people, temples etc. The roads are a curse for this town but its steadily improving. First time in ur blog and enjoyed reading the post.

Unknown said...

Excellent Real Good Nostalgic Feeling & Old Memories.Iam Still In Nanganallur.The Place Has Developed A Lot...More Flats..More Brahmins...More Temples...More Population...A True Residential Homely Area In Chennai...

viji said...

hi
It was really nice to see an article relating to nanganallur. Even though most of us were itching to come to US since college days nobody can forget our hometown and its value. Most of these posts bring the golden memories. I got nostalgic. market,sivan kovil, rajarajeswari kovil,palar water,kosu kadi,nehruji school,railway station, 18c bus etc.
keep posting about nangalnallur.

Anonymous said...

Hi sudhir [D g vaishnav college [evening]1993-96]How are ya? where are you?

Anonymous said...

I stayed in meenambakkam & nanganallur.

My brother used to play cricket near Vinayakar temple. He misses those days. I would come all the way from Meenambakkam to fetch my brother, if relatives turn up.
I remember the long wait near the railway crossing and the always crowded 18C.

Ranga theatre, which served as the only source of entertainment.
Seemati palace and Beauty Queen - the fancy store for girls to pick their items.

Wish the infrastructure is also developed along with the growing population.

Anonymous said...

I understand you have no idea what Madrasi means. You just want to write a stuff that came to your mind. Make sure you don't use it coz it was framed by some maharashtrian people as a mark of disrespect for south indians who went there in search of jobs. I have no disrespect or anything for Maharashtrians or anyone else. I don't like to use those words which originated for a bad reason.

Nth Dimension said...

Anonymous poster about "Madrasi", I understand you are such a courageous soul that you won't back up your divisive attitudes and sentiments with your own name and have to hide behind "Anonymous".

No matter who invented it or for whatever reason, if you feel being called Madrasi is insulting, then it is you that is having a problem with being one. I grew up in Madras as it was called back then, and though I support the name change to Chennai, I still prefer Madras just because it is convenient. And if you, with your stuck-up attitude can come up with a better moniker for people of Madras than Madrasi, let me know and I will see if I can adopt it. Until then, you are welcome to keep your attitudes with yourself, and spare the rest of us your idiotic banter. Thank you for your time.

Anonymous said...

My memories go 20 years back when i used to visit my Mama's house in nanganallur during my school holidays. It was quite a long journey to take a 18C from DMS to "Ranga" theatre and then reach my Mama's house by walk. I still remember the films that i saw in Ranga with just a ruppee for a ticket. We used to visit the pillayar koil near the SB (Main) colony. We had only muddy roads and could see only independent houses. My cousins' studied in the popular Modern school. Things have changed now, It takes only 20 minutes for me to go from DMS to Nanganallur in my bike. "Ranga" has become vetrivel and there is an addition too, Velan. But only the ticket prices have gone up by leaps and bounds. I could see the apartment culture spring up. A new bus stand has come up in BS colony with buses being operated to Parrys and CMBT. Land prices have gone up and now its almost impossible for a middle class family to settle down in Nanganallur. But the memories continue on and on.

ullagaram said...

A really good article and I wished the article was a bit longer - as Nth Dimension points out - Nanganallur is no longer that quite, peaceful town anymore - I moved out from Nanganallur Lakshminagar to an independent home in Ullagaram - where there is still the old world charm of Nanaganallur still prevalent - rightly said - its malgudi days always...

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!