Saturday, November 13, 2004

The Reality of Reality TV

I admit it. I am an avid television watcher. But, for whatever the reason, I have never caught onto the reality buzz. And boy, am I happy about it? You betcha I am.

Here is a critique of reality television that made for some worthwhile reading.

Almost to a show, these reality shows have only served to the whoring of people for money. But then, in America, its all about making money and living the good life. So I guess if it involves subjecting your family to tears, trepidation and disgust in front of a television audience, it obviously is worth it.

Now, I can recognize some good reality shows - CBS's Amazing Race actually makes for an interesting watch on Americans in different cultures, Extreme Makeover serves to give ideas to viewers about how to carry themselves off professionally, Extreme Makeover Home Edition gives the do-it-yourselfers invaluable tips on making a better home.

But everytime I see preview ads for stuff like "Wife Swap", "My Big Fat Obnixious Fiance", "Bachelor", "Bachelorette", "Who wants to marry a millionaire?" and similar (I would use crap, but it insults crap) things that TV execs pass onto the viewers as content, I have to reach for an airline style sickness bag to puke into.

Whats sickening is not so much that TV channels carry boat loads of these idiocy-driven programs, but that they are able to get the gullible public to watch these - does the viewing public get a high seeing the suffering and humiliation of another fellow human being?

Luckily for people like me, there is content-providing channels like Discovery Network Channels, Turner Classic Movies, PBS, etc to offset the trash thats too often on TV these days.

In the meanwhile, here is an S.O.S and an A.P.B detailing disappearence of television as we knew it. If you ever come across classic television with classic sitcoms like the Cosby Show and Simpsons and with no "puke-invoking" reality shows, please contact me.

1 comment:

Rod said...

lol
Love your spin on reality shows. They are killing scripted television, for better or worst. I'm a TV producer/writer (so I think its for worst, lol), and blog about some of the things in my world. Check me out:

http://brotha2brotha.blogspot.com/

Also, there is a great blog on all the reality shows, updated daily. Its mentioned in all the papers, and its and industry Bible. Follow my link to "Reality Bites."