Sunday, May 08, 2005

Bobbing at the Barbers

You go to the barber shop to get your hair cut, trimmed and primed into place and shape. You wait in the seating area, reading Popular Science, Fortune and other what-not magazines. And then one fine minute you are beckoned to the hot seat. You know, quite like Hot Seat during Senate committee depositions.

After you provide the directions (short on sides, medium at the top or 1 on the sides, 3 at the top, or whatever else you have set between you and your barber), you lie back on the cushioned chair and relax.

Wham..a protective cloth (well, protective for the hair, at the least :P) is put on you, and velcroed around your neck and the barber sets to work...carving your mop of hair up into an artful yet shortened display of style. And then it begins..the endless bobs of your head as they work around, on and all over your head.

Working on the left side of the head? Bob your head and tilt to the right..working on the back? lean forward..working on your right? tilt left. And they put a mirror on the wall facing ou so you can peep at yourself becoming a puppet. The nerve of those people :)

Ever since I struck up a rapport with my favorite barber at my favorite barber shop, I have tried to anticipate her every move and get my head ready for her, and yet I can hardly avoid becoming a puppet in her hands. And so I went..bobbing, weaving and turning everywhich way but here...a puppet without strings.

In about twenty minutes, the puppet show ends, with an excellent haircut and a nice little neck massage to boot. I guess a small reparation for all the puppetry she made out of my head (my poor neck!).

12 comments:

Harish said...

20 minutes? my "hair stylist" moves his rotor cutter up and down and am out of there in 3 mts.

Nth Dimension said...

well, amongst my first cuts in the US was the same as you said...a rotor up and down and right and left on my head...me left with a Marine-style crew cut that I hated. And then it happened...she caught on what I wanted and I started tipping her well...and so its been since..

The Last Blogger said...

Dont they carry Penthouse in your barber shop ?

PS: Its a Seinfeld thing.

saranyan r said...

these days I never tell anything to the barber. they generally select a number and plough on my head :)

Nth Dimension said...

Ranga, now that you mention this...I have never managed to see one at the barber shop. Guess they are amongst the most pilfered mags there..

Saranyan, is that by choice or what..

Anonymous said...

There is a friend of mine who travels 40 kms up and down to get his hair cut. The irony is he is almost bald.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

You are lucky. Honestly, from 1993 I am searching for some barber to atleast come close to my Madras barber. No luck.

I've decided to soon by a Hair cutting machine and do it myself.

The Last Blogger said...

I was kidding. Barbers dont carry it. One of the episodes in Seinfeld has a doctor having it in his office and that makes Kramer visit him periodically. Seinfeld does visit him too and then at the end of his novocaine thingie, imagines himself having been molested by the doctor and the nurse. Hilarity ensues :)

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Vasanth, No offenses.! Is your friend bald on the inside too.???

Chakra said...

everyone has a barber story... thalaikku mela velai..

Nth Dimension said...

Hey Doc, welcome back after quite a while...and thanks for the offer. If I am in your neck of the woods, I just might take you up on it..

Ganesh Venkittu said...

if you dont care for looks but instead a michael jordan look is okay with you...

buy a WAHL pro series cutter (25 bucks) with attachment blades....treat your head like a lawn, put a # 3 cutter and start mowing.....