Thursday, June 23, 2005

Its Tuesday..no...its Wednesday...

Recently, my job afforded me with the rare privilege of pulling an all-nighter in order to get some segments of the system ready for a client presentation. It almost felt like I was back at "school", slogging it out over a course presentation/project/thesis/what-have-you.

Anyway, having consumed boat-loads of caffeine through the course of the two days, it turned out to be pretty easy to stay awake through to the night of the second day..

And then sleep hit..with an irresistible force..and I was the immovable object stuck in its path. So, an estimated 9 hours of sleep on a weeknight ought to be enough. So you would think. Even if it came after being awake for 40 hours straight.

And you would be correct. For the most part. Atleast for the physical part.

But apparently someone really forgot to tell it to my mind..and to my biological system. I woke up the following morning, all refreshed and sprighty...only to realize that my mind was still in "yesterday".

The calender said it was Wednesday..my mind insisted it was Tuesday..and the tug-of-war was on. You see, one of my worst nightmares is this fear that somehow, one fine day, when I wake up, ALL the clocks and calendars in the house would be all pointing to the wrong date and time and throw me completely off-kelter. That meant that in that initial wave of post-nightmare-panic, I could not convince my own mind rationally that it was indeed Wednesday and that I had pulled an all-nighter through Monday night into Tuesday.

Somehow, somewhere, thank goodness, rationality set in and my mind accepted that it was indeed Wednesday and not Tuesday. I consulted with Answers dot com about this, and it spat back with an answer...

Circadian Rhythm..the Biological Clock.

If only it was as easy to reset that clock as it is with the mechanical ones.

1 comment:

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Thank god for not being able to alter the biological clock...though like the previous comment says 'Melatonin' helps a little. I've used it during my trips to India..and it has worked.

Good Luck buddy.! Do stay awake long.! and throw away those coffee mugs. Body needs the sleep for several reasons.!!