Thursday, March 10, 2005

Family Table

Nickelodeon has this amazing set of comedy sit-coms at the late evening prime time hour (typically the 9pm through midnight local time), which features many family friendly sitcoms as part of Nick at Nite.

Call me a throwback, call me ancient, call me out-of-fashion and out-of-touch, but much as I try, I cannot really laugh at the dysfunctional family issues of a Everybody Loves Raymond or the look-at-me-I-am-cool-and-I-can't-wait-to-kiss-and-go-to-bed-with-my-friend crankiness of Friends.

Give me Cosby Show or Full House or even the Will Smith career-launcher Fresh Prince. Give me a Roseanne or the new animated sitcom Fatherhood. Give me a dash of sentimentality juice in a bowl full of the salad of regular life and events. Give me a dash of exaggeration of the realities of contemporary life and a message for all life. Package that in a way that I do not have to cringe while I watch it with my parents. Package it in a way that it is not crass.

Am I asking for too much?

No comments: