Tuesday, March 22, 2005

"I am what I ate, and I am frightened"

I am what I ate, and I am frightened, and other digressions from the doctor of comedy, is the title of a funny monologue-in-the-form-of-a-book, by none other than the Coz..Bill Cosby.

Confession: I have been reading this book for the past two days at the local Borders, because I've been feeling too miserly to spend thirteen bucks on a book that I can finish reading in three 90-minute sit-ins at the Borders lounge!

Confession 2: Having said that though, I think I am going to pony up the dough to some online retailer and buy this book afterall. But, I digress...

Reading this book, is almost akin to sitting in on a stand-up comedy routine by Cosby. It is so narrative, it is almost as though the book is talking to ya. Typical of his satire, he rips into things that affect us in everyday life, starting with the Government and the Social Security Administration.

He satirizes on how the Government (the SSA) wants him to prove he was born, by making him fetch a proof of birth from the Government (the Birth/Death Registry).

He calls himself a walking time-bomb with a blocked carotid artery from all the years of eating lard, and grease and cheese, and more cheese, and then some butter. He regales us with the diet restrictions imposed by his doctor ("pizza, ice-cream sundaes once in a while, the doctor says"), and how the stupid taste-buds of his would not listen to instructions from his mind about taste-control, and of how he'd have to sneak food to satiate his taste buds. He mocks at the concept of taking pills to control this and pills to control that, and of how people with high blood pressure, take extra-dosage of the pills just before taking foods loaded with salt!

But, surely, you are not going to trust my words alone....
Simple recommendation: this is as must read as a book can be.

No comments: